Sunday, December 22, 2013

My Experiment

Trying 3 days without computer except blog.
Normally lately - and there's nothing normal about it(!) - I can have open at one time
fb
IM wth friend
this
email
msn homepage
2 books
a jigsaw puzzle
AND sometimes a word game as well
with tv on
and sometimes the phone too
Craziness!

So for 5 days in summer I turned it off, and it was much better for me.
So I am trying 2 now.
Truthfully, I might well have bowed out of my friends lunch today had I been on computer! AS I DID YESTERDAY!
But I went.
And am SO GLAD I did.
I am lonely and a little in withdrawal but I am ok
Was out from about 12:45 til almost 6.
Lunch with MA and ML
then bookstore
47 dollars worth of books for 8 dollars (gift card plus discount because for school course so can use educator card)
Nice drive home
Freshened bird food
Now will read one of the books!
And watch a little tv.
And sleep in the bed.
Did for 2 nights, then back to counch, then 1 night then last night couch again because "needed" tv. Tonight will be bed again.

Last night I couldn't want to live. Started afternoon fine, but ate some crap and got depressed. Today MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

Am not even gonna stay here long. Turning off computer now.

Love to everyone reading.
Oh - and tomorrow - nice visit with mother, plus shopping, plus a good walk, plus some bird time, piano, and reading. Ah. Good.
PS played Chopin - brilliantly!! Yesterday before the depression.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your experiment and hope you can find the balance. As you know, I 'unplug' once a month, and find it very freeing (plus I get so much done!) Now, I never have all of the action going that you do (I never IM, for example, or read books when I'm doing my emails, etc. in the morning. And I've given up FB as a waste of time for me), but I do spend a fair amount of time online. And when the 'noise in the air' ends up being too much, I shut it down and go do something else. Online friends and communications and games are all well and fine, important even, but at a certain point, we need to walk outdoors and have real conversations and experiences we can smell and touch. I'm glad you're backing away a bit. I think it's good for you. Much love.

    ReplyDelete