Monday, June 25, 2012

Readings - Voices of Recovery

A person doesn't have to be abstinent to be welcome at OA meetings . . . In fact, many of us have kept coming back to OA despite problems with abstinence and have found this to be the key to our recovery. OA 12 & 12 p. 130 - 131. I am thankful that OA doesn't base its membership requirements on weight, but only on a desire to stop eating compulsively. Sometimes I could only show up at a meeting and contribute to the Seventh Tradition. I cried, nodded, and tried to act as if everything was okay, even though i was falling apart emotionally. By the grace of my God and my courage not to leave the rooms, something miraculous happened over time. i heard the message of those long-time abstaining members. It didn't happen that one day I did everything OA suggests, but slowly I started to ask the right people profound questions. This eventually led me to the one person who was willing and strong enough to overcome every obstacle I put up to resist recovery. It works, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment