Saturday, June 23, 2012

Readings - Voices of Recovery

We express our desire to become more effective in serving and helping others as our shortcomings are transformed into assets. OA 12 & 12 p. 63 I read Step Seven many times but missed this part: my shortcomings will be transformed into assets. I had often heard that my character defects were good instincts gone awry, but it never quite registered. If they started out as assets, then why wouldn't God want to convert them back? Knowing that I could become the person i pretended to be filled me with peace. I no longer have to try to be "good." God does it for me. My character defects surface on a daily basis. I love knowing that God transforms them - not to glorify me, but to do His bidding. Step Seven lays the foundation to work the rest of the Steps. When working with sponsorees on Step Seven, I ask them to list their glaring character defects. They together, we list the assets into which God will transform them. it has become a beautiful piece of Step work for me. When just listing character defects seems too negative, looking at the positive - the asset side - gives us hope. WOW I REALLY NEED THIS TOO, TODAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment