Friday, September 30, 2011

100 Gratitudes Today

I am grateful:

1. My mother has made it out of the hospital.
2. I saw her yesterday.
3. I will see her today.
4. I helped her to shop.
5. I will get her to the bank.
6. I had a healthy dinner last night.
7. I had a nice evening with my friend, O. Didn’t expect it, and it was a good surprise to wind up going out.
8. Have a long weekend.
9. Will have doggie tomorrow.
10. Had very fun talks with J on phone yesterday. Today, not so much, but grateful for yesterday’s.
11. Saw movie with St last weekend. Glad went.
12. Laughed during it. Laughter is good.
13. Think can be more patient with students now (not just in actions, but in feelings).
14. They are sweet and I love them.
15. They seem pretty happy so far, and some very happy.
16. Although hand still needs work/time, it is okayish.
17. My dr. thinks there is hope
18. I am giving J what he needs. It’s not really that it’s mine to give, but at least I’m cooperating. I do want him happy.
19. He is working hard, and I’m grateful for that.
20. I do sleep at night. It’s icky sleep, but some people can’t sleep at all.
21. I am back to calling my sponsor daily again.
22. I don’t do this yet, but I like that For Today 9/28 says it: “For today: I no longer evade experience or try to create it out of fantasy. I willingly undergo what life puts before me.”
23. And 9/27’s says: “For today: I want to be free of old patterns that stifle growth. I treat myself to the pleaser of admitting ignorance and the fun of asking questions.”
24. Yesterday, feeling depressed, just stepping outside helped. Thank God for outside.
25. Good session with therapist Wednesday
26. Keeping my classroom so neat this year.
27. My wonderful part-time aide.
28. J. still dealing with my sister, so I don’t have to.
29. Mixing the medical drink stuff for my mother yesterday.
30. This beautiful quote from For Today 9/26: “Man is a born child, his power is the power of growth.” Rabindrath Tagore
31. And it says: “Addiction stops emotional and spiritual growth, stripping its victims of fully half their potential. As a compulsive overeater, I grew physically and intellectually, but remained stunted emotionally, unable to provide sustenance for that part of me which food and academic learning cannot nurture. When I heard he words, ‘I am powerless over food,’ I felt a surge of relief, a letting loose of a heavy burden, and my spirit danced with joy. With the obsession broken, I am all lightness and hope, reaching out like a child toward the growth that was lost to me. I thank God for the miracle of recovery – a second chance to work toward all that I may become.”
32. And “For today: There are no limits to growth. Abstinence and weight loss are just the beginning.”
33. That I haven’t killed myself.
34. That O. helped me in my despair Sat. evening.
35. That I met my hard-to-meet-deadlines this past week at work, with all my sadness over J and all that was going on with my mother’s emergency hospitalization. I met them: )
36. That I have taken the CoDA commitment to chair the meetings for a month.
37. For Today “promises” – at least it seems like a promise to me: 9/25: “I turn my life over and do the footwork. Little by little, defects crumble, stumbling blocks are pushed aside and my path becomes smooth – until the next bump in the road. That is how growth happens: with patience and diligence, and faith in a Higher Power.”
38. I was able to help St get the books she needs.
39. I have joined the book club
40. I am interested in the book we are about to read
41. For Today 9/24 “’I have been granted a gift which amounts to a new state of consciousness and being,’ wrote Bill W.”
42. “With the courage and intelligence God gave them, the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous created the miracle of the great AA Fellowship –and changed the lives of millions.”
43. And it goes on to say: “As a member of Overeaters Anonymous, I owe my recovery – and my life – to that miracle. To think of the efforts of these early AA members to share the gift of their spiritual awakening is to e filled with awe and inspiration. There are surely as man thousands of compulsive overeaters who are open to this same simple message, and who have yet to hear it. For today: It is my responsibility to carry the message of spiritual awakening and recovery to compulsive overeaters, wherever they may be.”
44. I don’t understand this one, but I want to. For Today 9/23: “To disdain today is to prove that yesterday has been misunderstood.” Maurice Masterlinck
45. 9/22: “I want to look beyond the immediate, minute-long gratification of victory to measure by another yardstick: one with humanity in mind, where values of kindness, consideration and usefulness wear well and long, and contribute to my feeling good about myself. That is what living is all about.”
46. “For today: In situations involving winning and losing, being right and being wrong, what is really at stake?”
47. M. just called. She shared some major stresses she’s been going through. I’m so glad she didn’t hold back, which she recently felt she should because of my mother’s hospitalization. I want her to be free to share.
48. I was able to offer help.
49. She was able to accept.
50. And – she called me her best friend. Probably the reality is I’m *one of * her best friends. But it was lovely to hear.
51. I have been invited to *two * things today! One with O and one with M and girls.
52. I’m going to make a dr. appointment and get some test results and start getting my health in better order!
53. I *am * going to straighten this place this weekend. I am!
54. And then – I am going to clean, or budget yet more tightly and get someone to clean a few times.
55. I *am * going to get on a workable budget to save some. I’ll be working til I’m so old as it is.
56. For Today 9/21 “We lop away, that bearing boughs may live.” Shakespeare
57. “Values I acquired as a child and still follow today need questioning.”
58. “The child I once was can no longer run my life.”
59. “I want to give up what no longer serves me – the escapes and fantasies, the fears and the need to control.”
60. Now it is evening and I’ll add that I’m *so * glad I spent some time at the diner with my dear mother.
61. And with O.
62. And that O and I had lunch
63. And pedicures.
64. And I ate well today.
65. And I bought socks and slippers.
66. And I don’t need anything for a while.
67. And tomorrow I will straighten!
68. My mom seemed to have a nice time
69. Tomorrow I’ll probably get doggie
70. I *can * look good every day for work now.
71. God love me. He does.
72. Nice e-mail, very loving, from cousin Wednesday.
73. Good session with therapist too.
74. Hope
75. I will get sleep tonight.
76. My eye drops.
77. Some good pumpkin recipes.
78. Good bras.
79. Good books.
80. Electricity – lights.
81. And expression I just heard on a commercial – no idea – just heard, and I quote: “There are better days ahead.” And it was good to hear that.
82. People who are compassionate.
83. Lakes
84. Grass
85. Trees
86. Ducks
87. Mallard
88. Swans
89. Our park here
90. Makeup – and not too much of it
91. Laughter
92. Smiles
93. Open window
94. Nice weather today
95. Vegetables
96. My sponsor this morning.
97. A whole day tomorrow for cleaning and laundry
98. This coming week I *will * stay on top of the garbage and recycling situation
99. This coming week I *will * go to the gym twice and exercise. Or maybe even 3 times.
100. Ma. (friend)

No comments:

Post a Comment