Sunday, July 14, 2013

Nails Trimmed and Wings Clipped

These two women came and did, for both birds.
Please KNOW:
It is like a haircut - not hurt!
It is temporary - grows back
It is for THEIR safety - two flighted birds, 9 months old when got - I am able (the books and bird people I know say no one would be) to get them trained. Tamed, yes, come to my hand and eat etc. But not trained - as in come to me upon command. They HAVE TO - for their SAFETY. If they are flying around and I need to get them in the cage for some safety reason/ if there is a power outage again and it is cold - no heat no electricity, which happened here for five days in the fall/ if I need to take them from their flight cage into a carrying cage to get to vet/ if I need to give them medicine... I cannot, unless they will come to my hands (besides when THEY feel like for treat and then fly away when feel like).
I COULD force them by grabbing them with a towel. But that is so frightening to them. THIS is apparently MORE humane.
It gives me about 6 months to tame them (carefully - so they don't try to fly, and fall - following instructions).
If need more, can trim again...
Eventually it WILL work.
Plus - I AM very good with animals....

Okay, Boys, I talked to you and tried to help you intuit about this last night. You seem perfectly fine right now. I will let you rest, then give you millet treat later, My sweeties. xo

One held while the other trimmed. I was away trying not to watch except for snapping the pic:



One holding Summer:


20 minutes after, they're already perched and singing - phew:)

No comments:

Post a Comment