Thursday, April 19, 2012

Readings

For Today:

"Pride is the mask of one's own faults." Hebrew proverb

"Pride was my protection; it kept me from seeing myself as i was. But my refusal to look at my defects also kept me from accepting myself.
Does pride still stand in the way of my recovery? Is there a righteousness in me that says, 'Do it my way'? Today, i do not take credit for my abstinence. I do not criticize friends, colleagues, family members and fellow OAs for doing things differently from the way I do them. Today i see self-righteousness as a form of phony respectability - a wall behind which glaring defects can hide.

For today: How grateful i am that OA gives me the understanding and support I need to uncover my faults."

Voices of Recovery

"As difficult as it is to shed old habits, I keep remembering the relief and freedom and joy that came the first time i tried abstaining one day at a time and not worrying about what would happen tomorrow." For Today, p. 293

"I really wanted recovery from compulsive overeating. I attended meetings regularly, began working the Steps and got a sponsor, but still the gift of abstinence eluded me.
I heard 'one day at a time' repeatedly, but my suffering continued. Then one night my Higher Power spoke to me about 'not worrying about what would happen tomorrow."
That was my first day of abstinence. God took my worry; I received his peace. now I could understand what living one day at a time truly meant.
God, thank you for the gift of today. i am grateful for the freedom, relief, and joy I now feel.

In This Moment

"In This moment, I am enough.

"I am the sum of all my yesterdays. I am this moment's thoughts, actions, and feelings. I relish being in the moment. i thank my Higher Power for leading me to the CoDA program and showing me a path out of insanity. The love I feel for myself and others fills my heart and my soul. I am enough.

Accepting Cahnge

"The winds of change blow through our life, sometimes gently, sometimes like a tropical storm. Yes, we have resting places - time to adjust to another level of living, time to get our balance, time to enjoy the rewards. We have time to catch our breath.
But change is inevitable, and desirable.
Sometimes, when the winds of change begin to rustle, we're not certain the change is for the better. We may call it stress or a temporary condition, certain we'll be restored to normal. sometimes, we resist. We tuck our head down and buck the wind, hoping that things will quickly calm down, get back to the way things were. is it possible we're being prepared for a new 'normal'?
Change will sweep through our life, as needed, to take us where we're going We can trust that our Higher power has a plan in mind, even when we don't know where the changes are leading.
We can trust that the change taking place is good. The winds will take us where we need to go.

Today, help me, God, to let go of my resistance to change. Help me be open to the process. Help me believe that the place I'll be dropped off will be better than the place where I was picked up. Help me surrender, trust, and accept, even if I don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment