Thursday, April 26, 2012

Readings

For Today: "Doubt is part of all religion. All the religious thinkers were doubters." Isaac Bashevis Singer "Sometimes I have trouble believing what is in front of my eyes, let alone what I can't see. Though I no longer doubt my Higher Power, I have periods when I feel its remoteness. Through the pain and fear of these episodes, my faith in the reality of God in my life has grown stronger. However bleak the 'dry spell' I am passing through, I know that I have not been abandoned. The grace that saved me before is still there and will be revealed in God's time, not as a result of anything I do or fail to do. For today: As always, I remain abstinent, accepting things as they are and reaffirming that I have placed my life in God's hands. -- Voices of Recovery: "What would I like such a power to be and to do in my life? . . . Then we began to act as if such a power existed and we found good things happening to us as a result." OA 12 & 12 p. 14 "At first, the question reminds me of something mystical, like a child wanting his or her dream to come true. I believe that something magical does happen when I believe, trust, and act in faith that God will take care of me. It is difficult for me to let go, wait, and 'act as if.' I want to look at things logically, and I need to see that two plus two equals four. I want it now, and I want it my way. It's very difficult for me to do the footwork, turn it over, and allow God to take care of the results. The times when I allow God to do this magic are when miraculous things begin to happen. -- In This Moment: "In this Moment, I trust myself. In my childhood, breaches of trust seriously impacted my self-esteem and ability to trust my gut instincts. I grew up thinking I was supposed to trust others automatically. When others broke that trust, I was confused and upset. I wondered what I had done wrong to cause them to be dishonest. I've learned in CoDA that I'm not responsible for others. People need to earn trust, and some people just aren't worthy of trust. I let go of relationships with people I can't trust. Today, I choose to share my life with trustworthy people. -- The Language of Letting Go "Resisting Negativity Some people are carriers of negativity. They are storehouses of pent-up anger and volatile emotions. Some remain trapped in the victim role and act in ways that further their victimization. And others are still caught in the cycle of addictive or compulsive patterns. Negative energy can have a powerful pull on us, especially if we're struggling to maintain positive energy and balance. It may seem that others who exude negative energy would like to pull us into the darkness with them. We do not have to go. Without judgment, we can decide it's okay to walk away, okay to protect ourselves. We cannot change other people. It does not help others for us to get off balance. We do not lead others into the Light by stepping into the darkness with them. Today, God, help me to knoH that I don't have to allow myself to be pulled into negativity, even around those I love. help me set boundaries. Help me know it's okay to take care of myself. ==

No comments:

Post a Comment