Friday, August 10, 2012

Readings - Voices of Recovery

"We now say yes to this power, deciding from here on to follow spiritual guidance in making every decision." OA 12 & 12 p. 19 In every decision? My mind went into instant rebuff mode upon reading those words. Oh sure, I could see the need to surrender my will and my life to a power greater than myself in food-related matters. Just how many fruits can I dice up really small and cram on top of my cereal and still remain spiritually fit? How many trips to the salad bar constitutes a normal meal? But every decision? Whether to ask for a raise, to take on a new sponsoree, to read Lifeline or TV Guide, to go to bed with this atrtactive stranger, to phone my mother or my sponsor, to tell this jerk I'm plenty miffed - in all the small and large decisions that make up a day, that make up a life. The words on the first page of Step Three gazed back at me serenely. I hesitated and then totally capitulated to their injunction. And I've never regretted that surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment