Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Today's Readings - Voices of Recovery

"The basic concept of Overeaters Anonymous is that compulsive overeating is a disease that affects the person on three levels - physical, spiritual, and emotional." OA 2nd edition p. 234 Recognition that compulsive overeating is a disease eased my guilty feelings that my inability to control my weight was a moral failure. My understanding of the three affected areas, and the importance of balance in recovery, was aided by a shared example of a three-legged stool. Having watched my uncle milk cows using such a stool, I could see how precarious the sitting would be if one leg were missing or shorter or longer than the others. This helped me see the importance of balance in these areas of my life as well. When my food is troubling me, I know that emotional and spiritual problems are also involved. Getting my feelings in teh open by writing or sharing with trusted others, as well as prayer and meditation, have helped the considerable amount of recovery I have been given - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Thank you, OA!

No comments:

Post a Comment