Thursday, August 16, 2012

Today's Readings - For Today

"One can know nothing of [anything] that is worthy to give unless one also knows how to take." Havelock Ellis It's terrible to receive; I don't know what to do, what to say. Whether it's a compliment or a gift, I stammer and stutter in embarrassment, muttering ridiculous but time-honored denials such as, "This old rag? . . . I bought it at the Goodwill." Only later do I realize that in my attempt to appear modest, I have insulted the person who gave me a simple compliment. I like the suggestion of a member who practices tough love: "Say 'thank you' and the shut up." I treasure simple directions I can understand, and the loving OAs who pass them along. For today: I am willing to practice saying :Thank you" until it comes naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment