Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Today's Readings - Voices of Recovery

"Meetings are gatherings of two or more compulsive overeaters who come together to share their personal experience and the strength and hope OA has given them." Tools of Recovery p. 4 Life on life's terms can make my day feel chaotic, so it is a relief to walk into a meeting and hear the same comforting, familiar slogans from friends each week. However, I've come to love OA meetings for their unpredictability, as well as their structure. Meetings are like jazz improvisation - never the same twice. Meetings have the unpredictability, freshness, and originality that almost make them an art form. When I came to OS meetings, I never know who will show up, what will be said, if newcomers will be there, or even if the group conscience will be followed. Meetings happen exactly as they are supposed to; there are no accidents. They have a life of their own, run by a power greater than ourselves. I can let go of the need to control meetings. My only responsibility is to show up and share honestly about my recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment