Saturday, November 9, 2013

So I've been thinking a lot about the subject of walking.
There used to be nothing I loved much more.
It was so - natural - for me.

I walked every day after school and later after work. *Besides* any walking I had to do, like when I didn't have a car...
I would go to the outdoor mall just to walk, simply because it *felt so good!* Hours and hours at a time.
In fact, when I was getting married to Ji on a Sat, I got the Thurs and Fri before off. And what do you think I did with those two days? Walked!
At that mall.
I did NOT sit around with a tv all the time. I walked.

Years later, with J, we walked. At the gardens, the parks, the aquaduct, the beaches, in the neighborhood, we walked. Walked walked walked. We BOTH *loved* walking together!

In between, I walked.
Walked in the neighborhood, waslked in the park... Daily.

That mall changed. Very low-scale stores. Not as enjoyable. Different people, tone, etc.

Well it has changed back!
There is a nice mix of people racially and in terms of age, and I like that.
But people are smiling and polite.
And stores are not as upscale as when I was young but not as low-rent as years later.
And it's been all remodeled. Children are playing...

I walked there with J 2 weekends ago on Sunday. It was great.
I will start walking there again, if only on weekends.
I can walk here (neighborhood) on weekdays.
I even have a treadmill for goodness sake!

What was I afraid of? The cold? The two days before wedding to Ji were in FEBRUARY. That NEVER stopped me then.

So - I didn't have a coat last year. Well now I shall. And earmuffs, gloves, whatever. These are necessities. Sitting on the fucking couch will only kill me. Possibly slowly and painfully too.
I don't WANT to be wretched.

I even have exercise DVD's. 10 dollar a month gym nearby (I am not a gym person - I'm just saying).
There is NO excuse.
NONE.

I am VERY GRATEFUL that I got these diagnoses. Which could have been so much worse.
And - which WOULD have been so much worse if I hadn't gotten them now
and which will DEFINITELY GET so much worse if I don't do what I have to do!

Today - I'm figuring out how.
WHILE eating well and not too much, and exercising.

But need a PLAN.
To FOLLOW.
MINDLESSLY.
(After it's made mindfully).

I THINK it will be this:

  • DASH diet
  • 30 minutes a day exercise - 2 days a week a good walk/ 2 days a week dance with video/ 2 days a week resistance bands/ one day a week treadmill. SOMETHING like that. I will put it in a nb; consider the weather of the day (treadmill can take place of walking outside for example), and do what it is on that day
  • And stretch 5 minutes
  • Stop at mother's (besides other visits) to pay bills EVERY Friday after work!  I am at work anyway - can't hurt anything...
  • The two days a week I will clean the birds' cage are Wed. and Sun. (rather than is it Tues this week or Wed etc).
  • Continue daily meditation and getting outside every day no matter what
  • And either continue cooking on Sunday - or at least make the food plan on Sunday for the week and follow it (if lighter than big cooked things).
These should all help.

What to do instead of overeating is an issue. But
I always have piano
and books
and cleaning
and exercising
and friends
and needle things like knitting, crocheting, stamped cross stitch, and needlepoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment