Sunday, April 28, 2013

My 100 Gratitudes Today

I am grateful:

1. The most wonderful lesson, that time, when J and I were avoiding doctors because of his scary diagnosis. We were letting time go by… and that parent of one of my students, who is a nurse and whose husband (now ex) an anesthesiologist), said. See Dr ____ ____. That’s who I would see if it were my DAUGHTER! … … She said, “See him. And move on with your life.” And I realized that was the difference – we were not people who moved on with our lives. We were waiters. I have still been in many ways for may years beyond that. But not so much now! Thank God! So grateful for her. That she said said. That I heard it. That J. did too (even though it added I’m sure to the things that helped him to move on right away from me). That I remembered. That I am positively practicing it now.
2. I got to practice piano today. It went pretty well! And I had much more stamina than in a very very long time!
3. And – I’m also grateful that I didn’t overdo!
4. I’m grateful that I am getting things that NEED – REALLY NEED NEED NEED – doing, done around here.
5. And that I’m doing them a bit thoroughly.
6. But not TOO thoroughly (energy, healing, and time)
7. And that I’m taking my time, taking breaks, have tv on throughout
8. And can hear the dear ones chirping.
9. This____
10. I am happy that the act of smiling creates chemical changes that help one to FEEL more like smiling
11. And that smiling boost your immune system
12. And lowers your blood pressure
13. And reduces the intensity of the stress response
14. And is “contagious’
15. And is a natural pain healer
16. And can help you live longer
17. The sounds of the flapping of the birds’ wings. I just LOVE that sound!
18. And I wheeled S & J into l.r and played for them. Then left them there hil I clean out the den – “their den” lol – and aired it out.
19. Then I worked on training to come “Up” for millet. It seems to be beginning to work. Otherwise Ill have to hav their wings clppped. For THER safety. So that I can get them into the box for transporting out of house in an emergency. (I had an earthquake eonce years ago, and grabbed bird cage and dog by collar and got out! But I couldn’t grab this cage. Plus, in case they need to go to the vet…
20. That’s ok. If there is the woman who come here –I’ve heard there is, I will just do that, that’s all. It is for THEM.
21. Although I’m still trying to do without it…
22. I am SO GRATEFUL that I cleaned the den today
23. And the bathroom.
24. And will finish the kitchen, I think too. Good.
25. And that the sunroom is heaven right now. So warm and comfy. I think I shall wheel them in later and read in there with them there. So good. It feels heavenly! I think they’ll love it!
26. Both ate from my hands tonight.
27. Spoke with L briefly before. He I sa thte concert now. I’m glad I’d already said I couldn’t go. Because it turns out I’m not up to it anyway.
28. I AM, I think, up to doing my mother’s shopping tomorrow! Yay! And I shall use my debit card,. And get some cash out for her. This way, whether her aide takes her to the bank or NOT Monday, she’ll be good.
29. I am grateful that A called me today. That is rare. RARE!
30. And I think it helped him to chat from the hospital.
31. He had guests yesterday: a couple (friends of mine too) and a single friend (who is in a relationship but he couldn’t go). And his wife before she left for going away on business. Good.
32. And today, his brother.Good.
33. I am going to give him good Reiki from afar later. Good. Fro the healing, as he is in such pain.
34. And a female friend (platonic, and whom he wife approves of) has offered for him to go there for days while he’s healing, so he won’t be alone. I think that’s GREAT!
35. Sleep last night
36. The way the phone call went last night with an ex-bf
37. And that I didn’t give away too much
38. Jewel outside cage right now.
39. And, as I’ve read, he loves being right at AT the door – like front perch almost! ON the door, and on the LEDGE.
40. That I switched out their toys. (Although I think they’re a bit traumatized by it – maybe from now on just switch pone per week)
41. I am LITERALLY. ENJOYING. BREATHING.
42. Today – I was outside in the sunshine a little. OH! It is SO beautiful out!
43. And – my breaths today – are normal. NORMAL. So far this morning. For the first time in like 2 months!
44. Summer(!) playing with new toy! And Jewel did first too, of course. They’re in fact, kind of – ahem – negotiating about it right now lol
45. Jewel has had a flyabout this am
46. THIS is the kind of weather that is PERFECT imo! Not need heat; not need a/c. Perfect
47. And my sunroom. Feels like paradise in the Bahamas or something. Like a real solarium. Ahh
48. I’m gonna start green drinks of some sort this week: ) Yay. I used to love them
49. Both types (mine and hfs)
50. I am GOING to get someone who keeps the outdoors clean CORRECTLY
51. AND does the snow! I AM!
52. And someone to at least clean window!
53. And maybe ONCE whole house
54. Or twice a month
55. I WILL get to do my other’s shopping today.
56. She actually didn’t want me to – because she doesn’t have money in the house! I’m like, “Mom!!! *I’ll * go shopping for you! Don’t be ridiculous! Should you not have FOOD because you didn’t get to the BANK???????
57. She still refused to give me her list (although I could manage anyway). BUT – I thought of TWO good solutions. So she agreed happily. Phew. : )
58. It is nice to have such a nice mommy. And so loving too!
59. It is good to be loved, period
60. And even, gasp – from more than one source
61. I have made a decision regarding an uncomfortable-for-me b’day party far away. I am NOT going.
62. And I’m proud of myself for that.
63. Making some progress cleaning
64. The tulips. Oh. The yellow and red ones. And on the side, the red ones. That J. had planted. They bring me cheer.
65. And the forsythia is in. And when I step outside I see all that color. It is so good for me.
66. The den is dark like denim almost (but richer) blue. With white trim and a dark wood floor. The bird cage is black. The COLORFUL toys in there are such a pleasure – to ME!
67. I have washed that ones I took out in the current toy-exchange for they mental stimulation and interest.
68. “When accompanied by a pleasant, active demeanor, a little tail shake indicates a healthy, happy little bird going about her daily routine.” “…usually a good sign. This quick, side-to-side shake is often called wagging. “God. ‘Cause both of mine are wagging their little tails now.
69. Decent conversation with L. this am on phone. Decent. Not good. Certainly not great. But a friend…
70. The den is pleasant now. Gave it such a thorough clean yetereday! Cage too. In little while will do the floor under cage – which needs it EVERY day – oy : )
71. The saying, “Men use talking to get the sex. Women use sex to get the talking.” I hate it, but it might be true! Lol
72. Pictures of nature – might help people care
73. Sorry to repeat. But am UBER GRATEFUL for my BREATH!
74. And the towel to cover the birds
75. And my drive to the neatby little store this am
76. Broccoli!
77. Giving healing vibes for A.
78. And my best advice. Even though a bit uncomfortable for me at times.
79. Music
80. Art
81. Coffee and tea both this am
82. Hot. Hot hot hot is good for me always in liquids. Except once in a while when I want sort of only-warm soup : )
83. I am grateful for my tv
84. And my remote. (Although it was healthier to have fewer channels and to get up to change them, I’m sure lol
85. Will practice a little piano today. Yes.
86. O had a big car accident yesterday! And now has no car! BUT – I’m SO grateful because SHE is FINE!
87. Smiles
88. Happy people
89. The Dali Lama. Although I’m not in his “sect” or whatever you call it, he is so wise.
90. And of course, Thich Nhat Hanh (I AM a member of the community of Interbeing).
91. Each of the Five Mindfulness Trainings. For some reason, today, especially the 2nd. But all.
92. The First Mindfulness Training: Reverence For Life

Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed to cultivating the insight of interbeing and compassion and learning ways to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to support any act of killing in the world, in my thinking, or in my way of life. Seeing that harmful actions arise from anger, fear, greed, and intolerance, which in turn come from dualistic and discriminative thinking, I will cultivate openness, non-discrimination, and non-attachment to views in order to transform violence, fanaticism, and dogmatism in myself and in the world.
93. The Second Mindfulness Training:
True Happiness

Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to practicing generosity in my thinking, speaking, and acting. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others; and I will share my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need. I will practice looking deeply to see that the happiness and suffering of others are not separate from my own happiness and suffering; that true happiness is not possible without understanding and compassion; and that running after wealth, fame, power and sensual pleasures can bring much suffering and despair. I am aware that happiness depends on my mental attitude and not on external conditions, and that I can live happily in the present moment simply by remembering that I already have more than enough conditions to be happy. I am committed to practicing Right Livelihood so that I can help reduce the suffering of living beings on Earth and reverse the process of global warming.
94. The Third Mindfulness Training: True Love

Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivating responsibility and learning ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. Knowing that sexual desire is not love, and that sexual activity motivated by craving always harms myself as well as others, I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without true love and a deep, long-term commitment made known to my family and friends. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct. Seeing that body and mind are one, I am committed to learning appropriate ways to take care of my sexual energy and cultivating loving kindness, compassion, joy and inclusiveness – which are the four basic elements of true love – for my greater happiness and the greater happiness of others. Practicing true love, we know that we will continue beautifully into the future.
95. The Fourth Mindfulness Training: Loving Speech and Deep Listening

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivating loving speech and compassionate listening in order to relieve suffering and to promote reconciliation and peace in myself and among other people, ethnic and religious groups, and nations. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to speaking truthfully using words that inspire confidence, joy, and hope. When anger is manifesting in me, I am determined not to speak. I will practice mindful breathing and walking in order to recognize and to look deeply into my anger. I know that the roots of anger can be found in my wrong perceptions and lack of understanding of the suffering in myself and in the other person. I will speak and listen in a way that can help myself and the other person to transform suffering and see the way out of difficult situations. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to utter words that can cause division or discord. I will practice Right Diligence to nourish my capacity for understanding, love, joy, and inclusiveness, and gradually transform anger, violence, and fear that lie deep in my consciousness
96. The Fifth Mindfulness Training: Nourishment and Healing

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth.
97. That I just called L and asked him if he could read them aloud with me on the phone.
98. And that he did!
99. And that I got so much out of it!
100. And so did he get something out of it! Wow!
101. And that they are NOT rules. They are suggestions for one to look at deeply, and make own decision. As for THOUSANDS OF YEARS have help so many have inner peace and happiness.
(FYI) These are the Five Mindfulness Trainings, which are written up by different people but always mean the same things – written up by Thich Nhat Hanh and a group. Can be found here on plumvillage.org site: http://www.plumvillage.org/mindfulness-trainings/3-the-five-mindfulness-trainings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment