Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Great "Stuff I Had around" Soup!

Great Stuff-I-Had-around Soup

INGREDIENTS:

· 3 T extra virgin olive oil
· nice amount garlic powder (or cloves, if have)
· hot pep flakes (optional)
· about 15 baby carrots, cut up
· 2 large onions, cut up
· about 6 stalks celery, with tops, cut up
· one can white beans, drained and rinsed (standard like 14 oz size) (or use dried oned)
· one can chick peas, drained and rinsed (same size) (or use dried ones)
· one can diced tomatoes (large, like about 28 oz) (or can use fresh tomatoes, or sauce or Italian canned plum tomatoes, or crushed, I’m sure)
· veg broth – about 16 ounces – I used what I had leftover of 2 different types – I don’t think it matters – could probably use cubes if had to
· water
· about half bag frozen broccoli florets (could use fresh, I’m sure)
· one box frozen whole leaf spinach (could use fresh, or chopped, I’m sure)
· black pep
· dried oregano
· dried parsley (could use fresh, I’m sure)
· good amount sage
· even more rosemary

DIRECTIONS:
· Heat oil, garlic, hot pep (if using) in soup pot
· Add the carrots, onions, and celery
· Cook with lid on til softened (10 minutes or more)
· Remove cover and sautee (another 10 or so – they’ll start to look translucent), stirring a little bit
· Throw in the white beans and chick peas and diced tomatoes and veg broth , broccoli, spinach, and water (a cup or two of water – til you think it looks like you want it to)
· Add the spices
· Stir
· Bring to boil
· Then simmer, covered (or uncover on and off if it won’t stop boiling) for about 2 ½ hours, stirring every 10 – 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment