Friday, June 3, 2011

My 100 Gratititudes Today

I am grateful:

1. Today’s For Today: “The strength of man consists in finding out the way in which God is going, and going in that way too.” Henry Ward Beecher
2. And: The recovering compulsive overeaters who have what I want are, without exception, are working the twelve-step program on a continuing bases and practicing its spiritual principles in everything they do.
3. And “For today: Am I confused or undecided? I can find direction by taking steps three and eleven.” Okay. That’s good.
4. That my student with his injury – I’m typing for him and we’ve gotten to know each other better (he’s very to himself and kind of shy usually – happy – but not into forming relationship with teacher) and to have more fun together and he’s happy about it and so am I.
5. That the same thing happened years ago with the girl with the injury – whom the teacher the year before me had called Satan! Literally! And oh, how I came to love that girl and always will. Although I kind of loved her to begin with, sitting together doing jigsaw puzzles with the friend of her choice all those days while she healed really did it : )
6. Today’s In This Moment. “today, I am able to tolerate a less than ideal work situation because I know I make a difference.”
7. And may this one come true for me and I’m glad I read it twice: “I’ve acquired the patience to wait when things don’t go my way. I realize the outcome is in God’s hands and that I don’t have to be in control.” I hope so : )
8. And this, in today’s Voices of Recovery: “Any action, no matter how small, will help us to overcome deadly procrastination.” OA 12 & 12 p. 31. I have found this to be true for me, and know it is true for J. too.
9. And this: “I don’t need to jog fie miles; a short walk around the block is a start to clearer thinking.”
10. And “The house doesn’t need to be spotless, but making the bed makes my life feel more manageable.”
11. And this one, which is a biggy for me, I think: “I might not be able to adhere to that ‘perfect’ food plan, but am I willing to stop eating right now?”
12. And this: “It is the long view that overwhelms me. If I remember to pray for the willingness to do one small thing, I am living evidence that mountains can be moved by the results. I pray to be willing to do something for my recovery today. I pray to let go of the results and be willing to take the action.” Huge!
13. In today’s Language of Letting Go: ”Some of us give money out of a sense of caretaking. We may have exaggerated feelings of responsibility for others, including financial responsibility.”
14. And this: ouch: “Some of us give because we hope or believe people will love us if we take care of them financially.”
15. And “We are financially responsible for ourselves.”
16. And “Part of being healthy is allowing those around us be financially responsible for themselves.”
17. And “We do not have to be ashamed about having the money that we earn; we deserve…”
18. And “Today, I will strive to begin developing healthy boundaries about giving money. I understand that giving is my choice.”
19. Uncle Ch’s words to me from his death-bed: “Do you want to know my best advice about living?” Everyone froze. I said “Yes!” He patted bed and I sat and he said, “Don’t look back. Don’t have regrets. Just keep doing it.”
20. Sp saying to me this morning: “If you’re lonely now, work on something now. Call a friend. Talk to them. Make an appointment to do something. Practice the piano. Lots of things that can be done”.
21. And “I couldn’t get to today if I didn’t live through the best way I knew how then, yesterday. So whatever silly screw-ups that I did, all the argument or whatever that I did, got me from there to here. I don’t have to do that anymore because I know better now. But I didn’t know better then so I couldn’t do better then. So for me to regret that is ridiculous. So I honor all the screw-ups that got me from then to now. So that now I can live better.”
22. And “She said it (sponsor to my Sp?) It was like a hammer blow to my head. What am I wasting all my time. It got me through. Not the way I want to, but it got me through to no so that NOW I can live the way I want to. So I started to embroider, paint, collected music, did this that that that that.”
23. And “It’s all I can do. I can only live now.” This is HUGE to me.
24. And “Feeling bad about the past is just as much a waste of time as fearing the future.”
25. And “All the fears I have about the future doesn’t come about so that’s also a waste of my energy. I have enough trouble living now.”
26. Takes a lot of mental effort. “Stay in the now. Not worry about tomorrow.”
27. “Planning for tomorrow is very different than worrying about tomorrow. I have to use my mental energy not to worry. I can plan…I’m not gonna worry about will remember names? have fun? at bar mitzvah tomorrow. What food will be there? No. Will have shoes shined…”
28. M will be helping with the mobile lab this morning! And Jo just called and is sending an aide also for a bit!
29. And – it is done. Easy and I now know how!
30. And the kids see it and are *so * happy about it!
31. Lunch wound up okay even though at first I thought it’d be lonely.
32. I’m watching Dr. Phil and sometimes I learn something useful from it.
33. I’ll be in the same job next year.
34. I called MA when in need of a place to go for a bit.
35. At first she said she was not available, but then said to call after work.
36. I did and she had an hour. So I got to visit with her.
37. I’m so glad she’s healthy.
38. My mother is winding down. I can feel it. But at least I got to talk with her twice today.
39. In line with what Sp and I discussed this morning, I just found this online: “The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can't go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.”
40. And this: “Other people do not have to change for us to experience peace of mind.”
41. And this: “The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes their way.”
42. And this: “What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.
Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator, 1890”
43. And this wonderful one: “The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”
44. And what about this: “Choose the life that is most useful, and habit will make it the most agreeable.”
Francis Bacon
45. And this one: “A person starts to live when he can live outside himself.”
Albert Einstein
46. And this one: “Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.”
George Bernard Shaw
47. And this one seems important: “In a world where you can be anything, be yourself”
48. And Grief must be left in the past in order to do justice to the present.
Chris Watson
49. And When the heart grieves over what it has lost, the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
Sufi Epigram
50. And Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens.
Douglas Jerrold.
51. And Act happy, feel happy, be happy, without a reason in the world. Then you can love, and do what you will.
Dan Millman
52. And Tis easy enough to be pleasant, When life flows along like a song,
But the man worth while is the one who will smile, when everything goes dead wrong.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
53. And Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have.
Doris Mortman
54. When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.
Helen Keller
55. A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes.
Hugh Downs
56. And You will never be happier than you expect. To change your happiness, change your expectation
Bette Davis
57. You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.
Ziggy
58. And this might be a biggy too: You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.
Ziggy
59. And Happiness is to see the world in a grain of sand, and Heaven in a wild flower, to hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in a single hour
William Blake
60. For every minute you're angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness
61. And this: Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life.
Sophia Loren
62. And When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.
Hugh White
63. And this one seems special: Never say, "oops." Always say, "Ah, interesting."
64. And this one: Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.
George Soros
65. And The wisest of the wise may err.
Aeschylus
66. And We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. Anais Nin
67. And Benjamin Disraeli
We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.
68. And this one too: Confucius
Virtue is never left to stand alone. He who has it will have neighbors.
69. And Don't follow your dreams; chase them.
- Richard Dumb
70. And this one: Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4: 4-7
71. And this one from my spiritual leader: Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
- Thich Nhat Hanh
72. And this: Let a joy keep you. Reach out your hands and take it when it runs by.
- Carl Sandburg
73. Wow: Joy can be real only if people look on their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness.
- Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy
74. Change your thoughts and you change your world.
- Norman Vincent Peale
75. Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.
- Carol Burnett
76. Resolve to be a master of change rather than a victim of change.
- Brian Tracy
77. Big one: If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.
- Mary Engelbreit
78. You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Mahatma Gandhi
79. And I see this one differently than I ever did before: The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
- Lao Tse Because I feel like I am in a journey of a thousand miles. But I can at least take one step.
80. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable
- Helen Keller - l love her.
81. We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
- Martin Luther King
82. Fall seven times, stand up eight.
- Japanese proverb
83. Hmmm. My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.
- Abraham Lincoln
84. Make failure your teacher, not your undertaker.
- Zig Ziglar
85. You haven't failed until you quit trying.
- Anonymous
86. Success is the proper utilization of failure.
- Anonymous
87. And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
- Abraham Lincoln
88. Who is blind? He who can see no other world. Who is dumb? He who can say nothing pleasant about his lot. Who is poor? He who is troubled with too many desires. Who is rich? He who is happy with his lot.
- Indian Proverb
89. You can never be happy at the expense of the happiness of others.
- Chinese Proverb
90. The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.
- James Oppenheim
91. Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life.
- Burton Hills
92. May you live all the days of your life.
- Jonathan Swift
93. A man is not old until regrets start taking place of dreams.
- Anonymous
94. Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
- Matthew 7:7-8 (see also verses 9 -12)
95. "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
- Mark 11:22-24
96. We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.
- Stephen Covey
97. [God says], do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Isaiah 41:10 (New International Version)
98. For I am mindful of the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. You call upon me and come and pray to me, and I heed you. You seek Me and find Me: Now you seek Me with all your heart and I am at hand for you, says the Lord...
- Jeremiah 29:11-14a; Matthew 7:7
99. You have to believe in gods to see them.
- Hopi Indian Proverb
100. If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes.
- St. Clement of Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment