Thursday, October 18, 2012

Today's Reading - For Today

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit." Aristotle Friendship is sharing experience over time, coming to love and care for one another. Like the OA program of recovery, it is ongoing and changing, growing in strength and depth. I cherish old friendships - people - with whom I've gone through the ups and downs of life, learning and growing. Much as I treasure my friends in OA, however, I am careful not to yield to the temptation to gravitate into small cliques at meetings. Practicing the twelfth step does not end with getting compulsive overeaters to come to meetings; it means speaking to newcomers at the meeting and making them feel welcome. It may be from the ranks of these newcomers that new friendships will arise. For today: Friendship, like the longest journey, starts with a single step.

No comments:

Post a Comment