Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Today's Reading - For Today

"All the mind's activity is easy, if it is not subjected to reality." Marcel Proust My best thinking got me into trouble. I could "think" my life to suit me; the only problem was that it didn't work. There was too great a gap between what my mind dreamed up and reality. For a compulsive overeater certain convictions are the bitter enemies of truth. The conviction that if I had enough willpower I could overcome anything pushed me ever deeper into the mire of addiction. This program is helping me to let go some long-cherished opinions and attend more to the real nature of things. I am coming to understand myself as I free my mind of conventional ideas about human strengths and weaknesses. For myself: I am powerless over food. No matter how much I wish to control my eating, I cannot, I am a compulsive overeater, no matter what my mind may have to say on the matter. For today: I turn to my experience with compulsive overeating to help me distinguish conventional thinking from reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment