Friday, October 26, 2012

Today's Reading - Voices of Recovery

"For many of us, fear, worry, and anxiety played a key role in our lives, robbing us of joy and keeping us from fulfilling our dreams." OA 12 & 12 p. 37 I was sick with fear about my job. I was afraid I was not doing well enough. I was afraid I would be fired. If only the fear would go away, then i could get abstinent, I thought, over and over again. I was dodging the truth behind the fear. I was not doing well enough, no matter how many extra hours I worked. I had to work extra hours because I couldn't get my work done during regular work hours. The foods I craved incessantly (because I ate them were keeping me sleepy and fogged. i had it backwards. i had to get abstinent first, not get rid of the fear first. I'm glad those two old fellows were right, the ones who liked to say, "You can't think yourself into a new way of acting, you have to act yourself into a new way of thinking." I'm glad I accepted that I could not control my feelings, but with God-given courage I could change my actions, in spite of how I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment