Thursday, October 18, 2012

Today's Reading - Voices of Recovery

"Once we become abstinent, the preoccupation with food diminishes and in many cases leaves us entirely." OA 2nd Edition p. 2 What a miracle it is to be free of the obsession with food. When I first heard these words in "Our Invitation to You," they seemed like a fantasy. Now they have come true in my life. "To eat or not to eat?" That was my question, all day long. Whether I was bingeing or restricting, food was all to often at the center of my thoughts, even if I didn't act on it. Today, 99.9 percent of the time, I do not have any interest in eating compulsively. When the compulsion returns. I know from experience that it will pass if I do not "feed" it. Like my friends who are recovering from other addictions, I accept that to "pick up" is insanity. I am willing to wait out the discomfort, knowing it will pass, that I will have the joy of being free again and that I have been truly loving to myself. For today, I ask for the humility to go to any lengths to maintain my abstinence.

No comments:

Post a Comment