Thursday, October 25, 2012

Today's Reading - Voices of Recovery

"I didn't want the other fellows to start noticing what I ate." To the Man Who Wants to Stop Compulsive Overeating, Welcome p. 3 We share our personal histories at meetings, as this man was doing when he told about beginning to be secretive about his eating. I'm not a man. I'm no a construction worker, as he was. No canteen truck came around onto my work site. nothing about his story fits my life. I'm completely different from him. Or am I? Did I really never care what people saw me eat? When did I want to hide my eating? When we talk about using the telephone as a tool, we observe that isolation is common among us. Being secretive about eating is a symptom of our disease. What that man was sharing identified a symptom of our disease. As I further notice the quality of my behavior, I have more desire to change. Good things have happened when I've listened to others sharing in order to recognize my own symptoms. I need to notice the quality of my listening. It is a measure of my spiritual condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment