Monday, October 22, 2012

Today's Reading - For Today

"The man who looks for security, even in the mind, is like a man who would chop off his limbs in order to have artificial ones which will give him no pain or trouble." Henry Miller Under the heavy anesthetic of compulsive overeating there was perfect security. I felt no pain or confusion. In fact, I didn't feel a thing. The price I paid for such peace was to chop off all my connections with reality, and with life itself. In my fondest dreams, I did not imagine that such a life could be turned around; yet, that is exactly what happened when I found OA. Today I have no need to cut myself off from anything. Feelings are feelings - they have only as much power over me as I am willing to give them. For today: I do not have to be afraid that my feelings will blow me away. I can allow myself to feel them, talk about them, write about them - and watch them dissipate. I do not need the fake security of compulsive overeating.

No comments:

Post a Comment