Sunday, October 16, 2011

Greens, Beans, and Pasta

I just made this and tasted it.
I was thinking of a friend of a much older relative, who grew up during the Depression. She said all they ate growing up was, "Greens, beans, and more greens." And boy were they healthy - even into much later years.
Well, we're trying to conserve money, and to eat better, so I just made this and tasted it - I like it!
It's probably something millions of people have done, but I never thought of it until just now. It's a keeper. Leave out the collards if you want. Add a bit of broccoli if you want. It will still be good I'm sure (think of the classic pasta garlic/oil/broccoli dish)

Here it is:

Great Greens/Beans/Pasta Dish

This is tasty to me. I can taste the garlic and the spinach and the pasta, and a little bit, the collards.

It’s very healthy and will probably be about 6 portions or so. It’s easy, quick, and inexpensive too. This will be a repeat.

1. Boil water for one box whole-grain pasta (I used Barilla whole grain penne)

2. Nuke to defrost about 1 box plus 2 handfuls from a bag, of frozen spinach (I did it that way 'cause it's what I have - so, about 12 – 14 ounces?)
And about 6 – 8 ounces frozen collards with it ( I took it from a bag)

3. Heat on stovetop – 2 Tablespoons olive oil, with nice amount of garlic and a bit of hot pepper

4. Add to the oil, garlic and hot pepper, one can of white beans, NOT drained (the gunk should go into the pan with the beans)

5. Stir as heating (on medium flame)

6. Add to the beans and oil mixture, the spinach collard mixture.

7. Keep heating that while the pasta cooks (for about 2 minutes less than the pasta box says to cook it), stirring sometimes. If the bean/veggie/oil pan starts to bubble, lower flame a little and stir – but you do want it to roll a little tiny bit.

8. Drain the pasta RESERVING THE LIQUID (I just place a bowl in the sink under the collander)

9. Now throw the pasta into the pan of greens/beans and oil – or, if like mine, that pan is too small, then throw the pasta back into the pot you cooked it in, and add the beans/greens/oil mixture to that bigger pot.

10. Add in two cups of the reserved pasta liquid and stir that all up now.

11. Mix it in, while heating for about 2 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment