Friday, March 9, 2012

Readings

For Today:

"Ther real fault is to have faults and not to amend them." Confucius

"Anger, resentment, jealousy, envy, and Bil W. states in the Big Book, 'are dubious luxuries of normal men.' For me, a compulsive overeater, they are poison. with defects unattended, the insanity of compulsive overeating returns and that is death, spiritually and emotionally if not physically. Have I been careless with my program? do i get into ego-driven arguments? do I sulk in silent scorn? Am i quick to criticize with a biting tongue/ These are dangerous traps. They can destroy my ability to think or act with purpose.
I know that change is possible, that I do not have to live with these crippling defects. i ha e steps to follow, and they lead to freedom.

For today: I am ready to change - to be rid of the faults that are hampering my recovery."

--

Voices of Recovery:

"Recovery is the result of living the Overeaters Anonymous Twelve-Step program." A commitment to Abstinence, p. 1

"Abstinence, to me, is very simple. It is refraining from compulsive overeating and continuing to work my program. Compulsive overeating is when i wander around my kitchen shoveling food into my mouth unthinkingly. Compulsiveness is wen i am not reading, writing, calling, and using the other tools. Compulsiveness is when i do not use the Steps or talk to my higher Power.
Abstinence is eating balanced meals, using the OA tools, practicing the Steps and Traditions, sponsoring and doing other service. i can binge on veggies, so I do not have a food list that determines my abstinence. instead, it is an action that undermines my abstinence: eating compulsively - feeding feelings, bingeing, stuffing my face. recovery is three-fold - physical, spiritual, and emotional. If I only count the physical (adhering to a food plan), I miss out on two important parts of recovery.

--

In This Moment:

"In This Moment, I choose to take care of myself.

When I feel out of control and my stomach is tied in knots, I stop, breathe, and remember that I have many tools to handle any situation. i remind myself that I am capable of taking care of me. I make good, smart decisions about my life. i trust that my Higher Power always provided guidance and direction, help and safety, love and joy. I just need to become quiet to get in touch with that strength. I know it is present in my life."

--

The Language of Letting Go

"We cannot simultaneously set a boundary and take care of another person's feelings. It's impossible; the two acts contradict.
What a tremendous asset to have compassion for others! How difficult that same quality can make it to set boundaries!
It's good to care bout other people and their feelings; it's essential to care about ourselves too. Sometimes, to take god care of ourselves, we need to make a choice.
Some of us live with a deeply ingrained message from our family, or from church, about NEVER hurting other people's feelings. We can replace that message with a new one, one that says it's not okay to hurt ourselves. Sometimes, when we take care of ourselves, others will react with hurt feelings.
That's okay. We will learn, grow, and benefit by the experience; they will too. The most powerful and positive impact we can have on other people is accomplished by taking responsibility for ourselves, and allowing others to be responsible for themselves.
Caring works. Caretaking doesn't. We can learn to walk the line between the two.

Today, I will set the limits I need to set. I will let go of my need to take care of other people's feelings and instead take care of my own. I will give myself permission to take care of myself, knowing it's the best thing I can do for myself and others."

==

No comments:

Post a Comment