Monday, March 26, 2012

Readings

For Today:

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear." Mark Twain

"As a small child i was afraid of the dark. I outgrew that particular fear, but not the underlying reason for i: fear of the unknown. as exciting as new ideas, new challenges may be, there's always that hesitation to jump in.
Sometimes it's very hard to overcome the fear. It takes courage to do a fourth-step inventory, to look at and admit my worst faults, to confide in another human being, to make amends. I stall for time, putting aside what I'm afraid to do, trying to muster my courage.
But in the end, I do it. I dare to push past the fear because I want what the AA founders promise, and because I believe them when they say that 'half-measure availed us nothing."

For today: There are things I'm still afraid of and perhaps will always be afraid of, but I have overcome fear before and will again."

--

Voices of Recovery:

"Never be in a hurry: do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inward peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset. Commend all to God, and then lie still and be at rest in His bosom." St Francis de Sales as quoted in For Today, p. 357.

"I calm down instantly upon reading that quote and the rest of that page. I give up control and know that my higher Power will get everyone ready, in the car, and off to the appointment at the appropriate time. I realize that my job is to stay God-centered and loving, rather than bullying everyone.
"This quote helps me even when I'm feeling calm. It always brings more peace to me and strengthens my bond with my higher Power. god loves me and empowers me to heal more each day."

Oh! Thank you for this!

--

In This Moment:

"In This Moment, I'm making lemonade.

Many years ago, a friend gave me a banner that said, 'When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.' I admire that positive attitude. I've had some 'lemons' in my life. When i adopt an attitude of gratitude, they become benefits. I know there is something good for me in every situation. I just need to be aware in order to find it."

--

The Language of Letting Go

"Gifts, Not Burdens

Children are girts, if we accept them." Kathleen Turner Crilly

"Children are gifts. Our children, if we have children, are a gift to us. We, as children, were gifts to our parents.
Sadlym, many of us did not receive the message from our parents that we were gifts to them and to the Universe. Maybe our parents were in pain themselves; maybe our parents were looking to us to be their caretakers; maybe we came at a difficult time in their lives; maybe they had their own issues and simply were not able to enjoy, accept, and appreciate us for the gifts we are.
Many of us have a deep, somtimes subconscious, belief that we were, and are, a bufrden to the world and the people around us. This belief can block our ability to enjoy life and our relationships with others. This belief can even impair our relationship with a higher Power: we may feel we are a burden to God.
If we have that belief, it is time to let it go.
We are not a burden. We never were. If we received that message from our parents, it is time to recognize that issue as theirs to resolve.
We have a right to treat ourselves as a gift - to ourselves, to others, and to the Universe.

Today, i will treat myself, and any children I have, [Lynn- or teach?) as though we are a gift. I will let go of any beliefs I have about being a burden - to my Higher Power, my friends, my family, and myself." [Lynn, and L.]

==

No comments:

Post a Comment