Saturday, January 7, 2012

Readings

Oh. I need this quote:
Today's For Today:
"The Infinite Goodness has such wide arms that it takes whatever turns to it." Dante Alighieri

"Is there some deep, secret trouble I am withholding, even from my Higher Power?
A woman once told her group that, though she turned to God for help with 'serious' matters, she felt her weight problem was too petty to bother God with. She then admitted that, although she now turns her compulsive overeating over to God, she still has to overcome the idea that some things are not worthy of God's attention.
For today: God alone knows how badly I need help in all aspects of my life. I unhesitatingly ask for that help."

Today's Voices of Recovery:

"Accept that a bit or two will not make a bad situation better." Think First

"My sponsor has a wonderful way of reminding me what that phrase means. When I tell her that I can't go on, she says, 'If I thought that food was going to fix your husband (kid, job, etc.) I would tell you to eat. It won't.'
That brings it into focus. No food exists that will make my job situation more pleasant, cure loneliness or fatigue, heal a broken relationship, or cure an illness. Eating will not fix it!
When I know this above all else, I can look at my options. The cure or solution may manifest itself when I take it to my Higher Power. Spending quiet time and listening for an answer has solved more dilemmas and cured more ills than any amount of food. Making a phone call instead of opening the refrigerator helps me find a way to handle the situation. Reading OA-approved literature, going to a meeting, or going for a walk are the things that can help me find the path I need to take.

Oh - I like this first line! Today's In This Moment
"In This Moment, I do not have to do anything.

When I am faced with a painful reality, when I don't like the plan, I reach into my heart and remember my Higher Power's plan is greater than any I could imagine. I ask for help in coming to acceptance. I look to Steps One, Two, and Three, and realize I am powerless. I have made a decision to believe in a Higher Power and I have decided to turn my will and my life over to this Higher Power. In so doing, I am relieved of the pressure to do something. I live in the moment and accept what is."

Hard. Wow.

Oh. I almost forgot to do this one. Glad to see it now, based on the title.

Today's Language of Letting Go

"Dealing with Painful Feelings

Feelings of hurt or anger can be some of the most difficult to face. We can feel so vulnerable, frightened, and powerless when these feelings appear. And these feelings may trigger memories of other, similar times when we felt powerless.
Sometimes, to gain a sense of control, we may punish the people around us, whether they are people we blame for these feelings or innocent bystanders. We may try to 'get even,' or we may manipulate behind people's backs to gain a sense of power over the situation.
These actions may give us a temporary feeling of satisfaction, but they only postpone facing our pain.
Feeling hurt does not have to be so frightening. We do not have to work so hard to avoid it. While hurt feelings aren't as much fun as feeling happy, they are, still, just feelings.
We can surrender to them, and go on. That does not mean we have to seek out hurt feelings or dwell unnecessarily on them. Emotional pain does not have to devastate us. We can sit still, fell the pain, figure out if there's something we need to do to take care of ourselves, and then go on with our life.
We do not have to act in haste; we do not have to punish others to get control over our feelings. We can begin sharing our hurt feelings with others. That brings relief and often healing to them and to us.
Eventually, we learn the lesson that real power comes from allowing ourselves to be vulnerable enough to feel hurt. Real power comes from knowing we can take care of ourselves, even when we feel emotional pain. Real power comes when we stop holding others responsible for our pain, and we take responsibility for all our feelings.

Today, I will surrender to my feelings, even the emotionally painful ones. Instead of acting in haste, or attempting to punish someone, I will be vulnerable enough to feel my feelings."

Oh. Important that I did read that one.
Hoping it will help someone else too.

No comments:

Post a Comment