Saturday, January 7, 2012

My 100 Gratitudes Today

I am grateful:

1. I am alive
2. I am recovering
3. I am not “really” sick. Just some diarrhea
4. M called twice this am
5. My mistake at work all worked out and everyone was gracious to me about it
6. I *might * go to lunch tomorrow with B and Tr
7. I have healthy foods in the house
8. And lots of water. I wonder how many people don’t have running water. I know that when I was growing up, my grandmother’s sister lived in the north of Italy in a mountainous village, and actually still carried water on her head back from the well.
9. I have lamps
10. I have a tv
11. I have windows
12. I am looking right now at my oak tree through the window. I love that tree.
13. I got an answer from the chairperson of one of our language departments and she recommended someone to me, who could help teach me French. And – it’s someone I taught in third grade! A painting of tulips she made for me – this was like 25 years ago, literally – still hangs in my den. I am sitting next to it right now. I have never forgotten that child. She’s like 30-something now, and might become *my * teacher!
14. Although I slept too late for my regular talk with sponsor today, we were able to have a quick hello just now.
15. I will drive A to that town across the county, with her little daughter, a week from Tues. if she needs.
16. I will also clean out my car (that can be my incentive)
17. My dishwasher is broken. Maybe permanently : ( But I did half by hand and will do the other half in a little while
18. I have a load of laundry in, and will put in another after this one
19. And I will cook one tray of something.
20. I am grateful for people who are nice to me
21. And for when I am nice to people too
22. And for doggie. Although I might now see her until next weekend.
23. But that will be a 3-day weekend: )
24. I can see
25. I can hear
26. I can speak
27. I can breath. I am truly grateful for these things.
28. I don’t wear a colonostomy bag.
29. I have doctors when I need
30. And medicine when I need
31. And wood floors
32. And I can sit in the “sunroom” now.
33. I have hope. They say where there is life there is hope.
34. Maybe MA will come here and read with me?
35. I managed to get gas into the car on time yesterday, even though I’d forgotten and the gas light had come on.
36. I had healthy homemade lentil soup for lunch, in a nice portion too.
37. I’ve come to like chickpeas
38. And more natural food
39. I took a lovely bubble bath this morning.
40. Nice talk with MA on phone just now
41. One load of laundry done
42. Can’t have reading date but will be okay.
43. My mother’s ok with us doing the shopping tomorrow. I’m glad because I *really * don’t feel well today.
44. Whole grains
45. Birds
46. The parents who are so nice to me
47. Word games
48. That part of the mistake turned out not to be, at all (M just called)
49. The first grade teacher(s) who keep reminded us that it is this group. I love them, don’t get me wrong, but a very difficult group to teach. That they (teachers) too, felt like, “I’m just not good anymore?!” That that is not the truth.
50. A deep sigh of relief
51. God
52. Buddha
53. Meditation
54. Thih Nhat Hahn
55. That I’ve sat with him so many times. 3 whole week-long retreats and once at a once day event.
56. And we’ve looked into each other’s eyes twice.
57. And the name the monks and nuns chose for me: True Compassion of the Heart. I am grateful for that.
58. And I’m grateful that I try to live up to it.
59. And that although I am disappointed, I’m not in a panic over the dishwasher situation. Phew.
60. The child who is *so * good at the word game and might even one day beat me: )
61. That I let *each * of them know they are SO good at something specific
62. And that I let each of them know I’m not good at everything – no one is. For example, I show them how badly I draw.
63. That despite my visual/spatial “disability,” I am able to live a “normal” life.
64. The woman who taught me about the 100 gratitudes a day
65. Every single time J and I went to sangha together
66. And especially, touched the earth
67. The things I’m working on now.
68. The hope I have for this coming week.
69. I might get to start French lessons on Jan. 23
70. I will have breakfast soon.
71. That I just went on my online spiritual community.
72. Books
73. Daily meditation readings.
74. The beautiful fresh flowers in my living room right now.
75. The neat desk.
76. No garbage or recycling built-up in the house right now.
77. A furnace that works now.
78. My piano.
79. I am so lonely. But there *are * people in my life. I am grateful for that.
80. And for my job. I would have probably never looked for/taken a job if I hadn’t needed to financially, and it is helping me emotionally and intellectually as well now. I am grateful for it.
81. And that it helps children.
82. Volunteers. Volunteers everywhere.
83. And that J is helping them.
84. Indian food. I love it and there is plenty that is vegan.
85. Yellow. I love that color.
86. And blue
87. And red
88. And orange-red
89. Our curtains
90. Walking
91. My pedometer
92. St did call last night.
93. The proms I’ve been to
94. The showers that have been given for me
95. When I was close with Ji’s family
96. My wedding veil.
97. This blog
98. Sofas
99. White. Clean white.
100. The beautiful sky.

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you last night watching a "Breaking Bad' episode. One of the characters was at some kind of retreat/rehab place and in a group session the doctor said "How many of you are trying to improve and change yourself?" and of course, everyone raised their hand. And then he said "Then you all came to the wrong place - because we're going to work on ACCEPTING ourselves, as we are." What an aha moment. xozo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! EJ!
    *t*H*a*N*k*
    *Y*o*U*!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete