Sunday, January 29, 2012

Readings

Today's For Today:

"To be nobody but myself, in a world which is doing its best night and day to make me everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting." E.E. Cummings

"In OA I am getting to know myself. I no longer have to borrow from other people a way of thinking, looking or being. I am accepted for what I am, and in turn I can accept myself. I can be spontaneous. I can reach out and be close to others. Even when I am alone, if I am in touch with myself, I am not lonely.
To have the courage to be me, to accept myself without glossing over the truth: these are the goals toward which this program is directing me.

For today: In accepting myself as I am, I accept God's will for me today. Only through self-acceptance am I able to change.

Today's Voices of Recovery:

"We strive to: Stop kidding ourselves that a bite or two would make some bad situation better or easier to live with. By working the Twelve Steps, we develop a way of thinking and acting which enables us to live each day without eating compulsively, regardless of what may upset us or how hard the urge for a little taste may hit us." A commitment to Abstinence, p. 2

"Even after more than five years in this program, food thoughts still pop into my mind when I feel stressed, frustrated, or depressed. Although I would love to have complete freedom from such thoughts. I'm learning to accept that I have the mind of a compulsive overeater, a mind that automatically associates feelings of discomfort with the siren song of food. The quote above reminds me that no matter how strong my desire to eat may be, it's never the food that I really want: therefore, eating won't make me feel better. If I am upset and craving food, I really need to connect with my Higher Power, to spend some quiet time by myself, or to talk to a caring friend. Thus, recovery has taught me that even though I may think like a compulsive overeater. I don't have to act like one.

Today's In This Moment:

"In This Moment, I'm pleased with my decision.

One way that my codependence manifests itself is by avoiding decisions. I worry and postpone, uncertain if I'm making the best possible choice - even though I know in my head there's no one perfect choice.

I've been thinking and worrying for the last two days, unable to decide how to handle a tricky family situation with my cousin. Not knowing what to do. I asked my Higher Power for help.

Just now, I made the decision, I picked up the phone, called her, and shared my concerns in a straightforward way. Everything turned out fine. I did the right thing.
Life is simple when I'm honest, open, and willing.

Today's The Language of Letting Go:

"Going to Meetings

I am still amazed, after years of recovering, at how easily I can begin to talk myself out of attending meetings. I am also still amazed at how good I feel when I go." - Anonymous

"We don't have to stay stuck in our misery and discomfort. An immediate option is available that will help us feel better: go to a meeting, a Twelve Step support group.
Why resist what can help us feel better? Why sit in our obsession or depression when attending a meeting - even if that means an extra meeting - would help us feel better?
Too busy?
There are 168 hours in each week. Taking 1 or 2 hours a week for a meeting can maximize the potential of the remaining 166 hours. If we get into our 'codependent stuff,' we can easily spend a majority of our waking hours obsessing, sitting and doing nothing, lying in bed and feeling depressed, or chasing after other people's needs. Not taking those 2 hours for a meeting can cause us to waste the remaining hours.
Too tired?
There is nothing as invigorating as getting back on track. Going to a meeting can accomplish that
Today, I will remember that going to meetings helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment