Monday, January 9, 2012

Readings

Today's For Today:

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak." Hans Hoffman

"One of the most profound utterances in the history of Alcoholics Anonymous is Dr. Bob's parting plea to Bill. W: 'Let's not louse this thing up. Let's keep it simple.'
Overeaters Anonymous has its share of compulsive complicators. They lard the program with mandatory procedures and other distractions. if newcomers succeed in finding out what the program is about in this welter of the unnecessary, it may well be because they have an innate ability to simplify.

For today: I pray to be reminded of the simple principles of this program, especially when I am tempted to present personal interpretations as the only way.

--

Today's Voices of Recovery:

"This willingness to act on faith, then, was the key to Step Two." OA 12 & 12 p. 17

"Acting on faith means standing without my defenses to protect me and assuming that my Higher Power will do the right things for me, will give me what I need if not what I want. Acting on faith means believing my Higher Power will always listen and encourage me when I am in a situation in which I have to take risks. My Higher Power will walk with me through the scary situations and will be with me to the end when the trials are over. That's acting on faith."

Wow. Important.

--

Today's In This Moment

"In This Moment, I keep my prayers simple.

"Before I go inside to work, I meditate for five minutes in my truck. It always calms me down and helps me get centered. I like to keep it simple. I say, 'god, please help me to see your will for me today and give me the power to carry that out.' And it works! At night, I say some form of thank you prayer, sometimes even for the difficulties I've endured that day.

Sometimes, I forget to pray and meditate. When this happens, I try not to be too hard on myself. I return to my prayer and meditation as soon as I can.

My Higher Power is always there to welcome me back."

--

Today's Language of Letting Go:

"Responsibility for Ourselves

'We have been doing the wrong things for the right reasons." Codependent No More

"Caretaking: the act of taking responsibility for other people while neglecting responsibility for ourselves. When we instinctively feel responsible for the feelings, thoughts, choices, problems, comfort, and destiny of others, we are caretakers. We may believe, at an unconscious level, that others are responsible for our happiness, just as we're responsible for theirs."
[Gulp. That's been me for most of my life. But - I'm moving past it now.]

"It's a worthy goal to be a considerate, loving, nurturing person. But caretaking is neglecting ourselves to the point of feeling victimized. Caretaking involves caring for others in ways taht hamper them in learning to take responsibility for themselves.
Caretaking doesn't work. It hurts other people; it hurts us. People get angry. They feel hurt, used, and victimized. So do we.
"the kindest and most generous behavior we can choose is taking responsibility for ourselves - for what we think, feel, want, and need. The most beneficial act we can perform is to be true to ourselves, and let others take responsibility for themselves.

Today, I will pay attention to my actual responsibilities to myself. I will let others do the same. If I am in doubt about what my actual responsibilities are, I will take an inventory."

==

No comments:

Post a Comment