Sunday, January 22, 2012

Readings

Today's For Today:

"Nowhere can a man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul." Marcus Aurelius

"Am I too caught up in external priorities - achievements and acquisitions that have nothing to do with my spiritual wellbeing? A good antidote is to take time each day to free my mind of such concerns, let my thoughts wander, perhaps into thankfulness for my new life, into awareness of myself as a being created by God, in exploration of ways I can be useful to another person.
My innermost being is a retreat where I can reach out to my Higher Power, renew my spirit and nourish my life.

For today: I need no formal knowledge to pray and meditate, just a conscious effort to open myself to whatever comes.

--

Today's Voices of Recovery

"By trying to control others through manipulation and direct force, we had hurt loved ones. When we tried to control ourselves, we wound up demoralized. Even when we succeeded, it wasn't enough to make us happy." OA 12 & 12 p. 5

"When eating compulsively, I focused on other people's problems. It took the focus off me and created a false sense of power. People couldn't manage their lives without me. 'Fixing' other people gave me a false sense of security, much as the huge amount of food seemed to blur all my fears. I believed that this power made people admire, respect, and appreciate me. however, I did not admire, respect, or appreciate myself. The insanity was in trying to play God for everyone else, then bowing to the god of compulsive overeating when I was alone.
Today, neither food nor control keeps the fears away.
For today, I choose not to do for others what they can do for themselves. I seek God's will, make sure my affairs are in order, and turn the outcome of my life and others' lives over to my Higher Power.

--

Today's In This Moment:

"In This Moment, I have a loving guide.

There are countless positive paths within the Steps. The one I cherish is the Third Step, which gives me the freedom to choose a God of my understanding. For the first time in my life, I feel free to choose. My codependence keeps me stuck and fearful of making choices. Steps One and Two give me the gift of hope that there is a way out of my misery and the courage to accept the freedom offered in the Third Step. Now, I know that my freely chosen Higher Power guides me lovingly in every life choice.

--

Today's The Language of Letting Go:

"Appreciating Our Past

It is easy to be negative about past mistakes and unhappiness. But it is much more healing to look at ourselves and our past in the light of experience, acceptance, and growth. Our past is a series of lessons that advance us to higher levels of living and loving.
The relationships we entered, stayed in , or ended taught us necessary lessons. Some of us have emerged from the most painful circumstances with strong insights about who we are and what we want.
Our mistakes? Necessary. our frustrations, failures, and sometimes stumbling attempts at growth and progress? necessary too.
Each step of the way, we learned. We went through exactly the experiences we needed to, to become who we are today. Each step of the way, we progressed."
[I can't help thinking, why couldn't we have just started out that way and not needed the pain.]
"Is our past a mistake? No. The only mistake we can make is mistaking that for the truth.

Today, God help me let go of negative thoughts I may be harboring about my past circumstances or relationships. I can accept, with gratitude, all that has brought me to today."

==

No comments:

Post a Comment