Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Readings

Today's For Today:

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." William James

"'Take what you lie and leave the rest'is a saying most of us hear as newcomers.
We are not all alike. What one person enthusiastically recommends may not suit me at all. Of course, sometimes I cannot know in advance what to overlook. When I must choose, I go with what seems best and give myself time to see how it works.
There is one suggestion each of us would do well to take: follow the twelve steps. The steps are the program of recovery in its entirety; everything else is intended to support that process. The tools are just that ; tremendously helpful implements for working the steps."
Wow!

"For today: I practice the twelve steps to the best of my ability and use whatever aids give promise of working for me."

--

Today's Voices of Recovery

"As we become aware of what our eating guidelines should be, we ask God for the willingness and the ability to live within them each day. We ask and we receive, first the willingness, and then the ability. We can count on this without fail." OA 12 & 12 p. 23

"At a time in my recovery when I could not stay abstinent, the words 'without fail' offered me comfort and hope. When I could do nothing else, I could pray on my knees every day no matter what, for the willingness and ability to be abstinent. The miracle is that the willingness came and then the ability. I continue to ask God for the willingness and ability to be abstinent daily, and it continues to work. I believe that just as God grants me the willingness and ability to be abstinent, life helps me overcome my character defects. If I pray for the willingness and ability to do God's will, I will receive the willingness and then the ability. Thank you, God!

--

Today's In This Moment:

"In This Moment, I'm not in control.

Admit complete defeat? Not me! When I came into CoDA, I was my own Higher Power... I was doing just fine on my own, thank you! The God I knew then was not kind or loving, so why would I admit anything to God?

Now, I totally accept Step One. When I came to believe that a loving Higher Power is in charge, I became able to let go of my need to control outcomes. I stepped down from the director's chair and let the world run as it's supposed to: under my Higher Power's direction.

--

Today's The Language of Letting Go:

"Fear

Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. What if they are a little course, and you may get your coat soiled or torn? What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice? Up again; you shall never be so afraid of a tumble." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wow!!

"Fear can be a big stopper for many of us: fear of fragility, fear of failure, fear of making a mistake, fear of what others might think, FEAR OF SUCCESS. We may second-guess our next action or word until we talk ourselves out of participating in life.
'But I failed before!' 'I can't do it good enough!' 'Look at what happened last time!' 'What if . . . ?' These statements may disguise fear. Sometimes the fear is disguising shame.
After I finished the first two chapters of a book I was writing, I read them and grimaced. 'No good,' I thought. 'Can't do it.' I was ready to pitch the chapters, and my writing career, out the window. A writer friend called, and I told her about my problem. She listened and told me: "Those chapters are fine. Stop being afraid. Stop criticizing yourself. And keep on writing.'
I followed her advice. The book I almost threw away became a New York Times best-seller.
Relax. Our best is good enough. It may be better than we think. Even our failures may turn out to be important learning experiences that lead directly to - and are necessary for - an upcoming success.
Feel the fear, then let it go. Jump in and do it - whatever it is. If our instincts and path have led us there, it's where we need to be.

Today, I will participate in life to the best of my ability. Regardless of the outcome, that makes me a winner."

Wow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment