Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grats

I am grateful:

1. Life
2. Hope
3. Voice
4. Stomach
5. Esophagus
6. Water. Drinking water
7. Helping the children I help.
8. A. sharing honestly about her weight, eating, poop, disappointments, plan…
9. Today’s for Today: “the deepest need of man is the need to overcome his separateness to leave the prison of his aloneness.” Erich Fromm
10. “If a sense of separateness is endemic to the human condition, how much more keenly do compulsive overeaters feel their apartness1
11. “People eat occasionally for pleasure, to be sociable, to comfort themselves, to pass the time. We who are food-obsessed to try long and hard to be like normal eaters, only to find that we cannot limit ourselves to the occasion; our eating goes on and on, past need, past sociability and past sanity. Recovery in OAA is based on the recognition that we are not – and never can be – normal eater.
12. “For today: “Yes, I am different from those of my family, friends and colleagues who are not compulsive overeaters. But there are thousands of people like me in Overeaters Anonymous.”
13. Today’s Voices of Recovery: “Humility. . . places us neither above nor below other people on some imagined ladder of worth. It places us . . . on an equal footing with our fellow beings and in harmony with God.” OA 12 & 12 p. 60
14. “On my bed sits a cuddly little bear I’ve named ‘Be.’
15. “His kind eyes smile at me from beneath soft, brown fur, and his outstretched arms beckon me into his loving presence. He is a constant reminder of humility, of God, and of feeling ‘a part of.’ Before I found OA, I knew well the humiliation surrounding food obsession and overeating.
16. “Today, I know something better – humility. Humility is harmony with God and acceptance of who I am at the moment.
17. “When my self-image is low and I’m feeling depressed or ‘less than,’ I separate myself from my Higher Power. In the same way, when my self-image is grandiose, prideful, or ‘better than,’ I place distance between God and myself.
18. “God exists in the vast, colorful space between the black-and-white extremes of depression and pride.
19. “In the middle, with God, I am free to be the authentic me and feel ‘a part of.’
20. “I clutch my cuddly little bear to my heart and whisper his name, ‘Be.’
21. “He symbolized true humility and God’s presence, reminding me to just BE.”
22. Today’s In This Moment: “In This Moment, I Feel Better.”
23. “I’m new to CoDA. I’m affected by other people’s moods and behaviors. When my Dad tells me I look pretty, it makes me feel happy. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t affect me when my boyfriend gets angry. When my mother criticizes my appearance, I feel hurt and upset. When I was passed over for a promotion, I felt resentful.
24. “Step One indicates that I’m powerless over others. But, when I question why other people seem to have power over me, the response is, ‘keep coming back, it works if you work it.’ I’m told to get a sponsor, go to meetings, and read CoDA literature.
25. “I have to admit that I’m starting to feel better and more connected with people.
26. “I look forward to attending meetings.
27. “I think I will keep coming back. I’ve got nothing to lose but my misery!”
28. Today’s Language of Letting Go: “Grief and Action. Trust in God and do something.” Mary Lyon. I know I looked at this yesterday too. But I can’t even remember it. So I’ll look again today.
29. “It’s important to let ourselves grieve as a passage between yesterday and tomorrow.
30. “But we do not have to be controlled unduly by our grief, or our pain.
31. “There are times when we have grieved, surrendered to the heaviness, tiredness, and weariness of a circumstance long enough. It becomes time to break out. It comes time to take action.
32. “We will know when it’s time to break the routine of grieving. There will be signs within and around us.
33. “We will become tired of the heaviness.
34. “An idea will occur;
35. “An opportunity will present itself.
36. “We may think: No. Too much effort . . .Do it anyway. Try something.
37. “Reach out.
38. “Stretch.
39. “Do something unusual,
40. “something different,
41. “something special.
42. “A new activity may help trigger the transformation process.
43. “Stay up two hours later than usual! Make an appointment to do something for yourself that is different from what you usually do.
44. “Visit someone you haven’t seen in years.
45. “Do something to encourage and help the new energy coming your way.
46. “We may not feel like breaking out of grief
47. “It may feel safer, easier, to remain in our cocoon. Begin pushing out anyway.
48. “Test the walls of your cocoon.
49. “Push. Push a little harder.
50. “It may be time to emerge.
51. “Today, I will trust God and the process, but I will also take action to help myself feel better.”
52. Affirmations
53. Hands
54. Thumb
55. Feet
56. Hot water
57. Enough heat
58. Weather reports
59. Traffic reports
60. That neither car was damaged in my little accident yesterday, which was entirely my fault

No comments:

Post a Comment