Sunday, February 12, 2012

Readings

For Today:

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
John F. Kennedy

"My food addiction was acquired so I could survive and cope in earlier, painful circumstances. Thus began two myths: First, that pain was to be avoided at all costs, and second, that eating would relieve the pain free of charge. These myths were useful then, but they are insanity today.
As I become willing to accept the truth that is revealed to me in this program, the myths I clung to so desperately lose credibility. I no longer need to be anesthetized; I can stand still and feel my feelings. I don't think something is wrong if I'm not happy every minute.

For today: The more I accept the reality of what is, the more comfortable and serene my life becomes."

Okay, so that was January 12. But I'll leave it here because although by mistake, I've typed it anyway.

Now today's. February 12

"Love is above all, the gift of oneself." Jean Anouilh
Okay, apparently I've done that one yesterday.

So here's yesterday's"

"More often bear little grievances with less courage than they do large misfortunes." Aesop

"It is the minor nuisances that threaten to drive me mad. I can cope with fire and flood - what else is there to do? - but I have the most alarming urge to bash my head in when I've misplaced some infernal object without which I can't continue to do what I'm doing.
As a gifted AA speaker put it, you can tell normal (noncompulsive) humans from compulsives because when the car won't start in the morning, normies go back in the house and call a mechanic; compulsives go in and call Suicide Prevention.
let's face it, we're human - to the nth degree. It's nice to know that, because I can relax, laugh at myself and turn things over to the Power that handles my life for me today.

For today: I have discarded the motto, 'Heavy does it.' I've tried laughing at myself and I like it."

--

Voices of Recovery
Yesterday's, since apparently yesterday I did today's.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
No. I remember doing that one recently too. I can't take the time/energy/focus right now to find out which one I've missed. I will do this one:
February 10

"How good it is to be free of fear of yourself." Before You Take That First Compulsive Bite, Remember . . .

"The stress of attempting to trust myself when my disease was rampant was like trying to push a rope up a tree - impossible. I'm grateful that today I have a Higher Power i can trust to guide me in honesty and truth.
I no longer have to depend on my own unsteady willpower. I now live in God's will, which I receive through the Step Eleven prayer, and I can rest in God's love through my fellow recovering OA members.
When fear strikes my heart, I remember that fear and faith cannot dwell in the same place at the same time. When I fear myself or other people, places, or things, it reminds me to concentrate on faith. For me, that means more surrender, more prayer, and more meditation. I consciously and gratefully receive more of God's love through family, friends, and the Fellowship.
I still make mistakes, but I no longer fear my thoughts, my actions, or my disease because I trust my Higher Power.

--

In This Moment:

Yesterday I did today's, so here's yesterday's:

"In This Moment, I must speak.

I breaks my heart to take a stand that I fear will create turmoil. Yet, I must speak. Denying the truth has far worse consequences. Wellness for me is dependent on my ability to be honest. I am deeply grateful that I have a program which values honesty. By being true to myself, I can expect a miraculous change in my life. The fruits of the CoDA Promises are delicious!"

--

The Language of Letting Go:

Yesterday, did today's - so here's yesterday's

"Divinely Led

Send me the right thought, word, or action. Show me what my next step should be. In times of doubt and indecision, please send Your inspiration and guidance." Alcoholics Anonymous

"The good news of surrendering ourselves and our life to a Power greater than ourselves is that we come into harmony with a Grand Plan, one greater than we can imagine.
We are promised Divine Guidance if we ask for it, if we work the Twelve Steps. What greater gift could we receive than knowing our thoughts, words, and actions are being directed?
We aren't a mistake. And we don't have to control or repress ourselves or others for life to work out. Even the strange, the unplanned, the painful, and those things we call errors can evolve into harmony.
We will be guided into understanding what we need to do to take care of ourselves. We will being to trust our instincts, our feelings, our thoughts. We will know when to go, to stop, to wait. We will learn a great truth: the plan will happen in spite of us, not because of us.

I pray today and each day that my thoughts, words, and actions ay be Divinely led. I pray that I can move forward in confidence, knowing my steps are guided."

==

No comments:

Post a Comment