Friday, February 17, 2012

Readings

For Today:

"To be obliged to beg our daily happiness from others bespeaks a more lamentable poverty than that of him who begs his daily bread." Charles Caleb Colton

"Where do I get my self-worth? Do I rely on others to make me feel good? Does my self-esteem go up and down according to what people think of me? Why are other people's opinions of me worth more than my own?
When I find myself looking to another to make me feel worthwhile, I can ask myself why I need someone else's opinion. I take responsibility for my happiness and self-esteem, knowing that practicing the twelve-step program to the best of my ability each day is all I really need to feel good about myself.

For today: Practicing the OA principles in all my affairs means giving myself spiritual sustenance."

--

Voices of Recovery

"Those of us who live this program don't simply carry the message; we are the message. Each day that we live well, we are well, and we embody the joy of recovery." OA 12 & 12 p. 106

"When I first walked into the rooms of OA, I was like the candle whose light is flickering and close to going out. I was sick in mind, body, and spirit; I was hopeless.
Many OA members describe OA as the last house on the block. I do not know if that is true since I do not know where the block begins or ends. i do know that what I found in OA can be found only in the heart and mind of another recovering compulsive overeater. The flickering light that I came in with became stronger, and the hopelessness turned into hopefulness.
I can be a living example or a dying example of how the program works. My courage to recover and my experience in OA serve as an example to those who know me. I represent and carry the message of hope."

Wow.

--

In This Moment:

"In This Moment, I mind my own business.

I'm grateful for the CoDA program. I've learned that by allowing others to live their own lives, I have the time and energy to tend to my own affairs. I once thought I was helping others by doing things for them. I gave them a silent message that I thought they werent capable of doing for themselves. I gained a false sense of importance, but avoided real growth opportunities. As a result, their self-esteem suffered and so did min.

Now, I'm aware that my relationships with others improve when I mind only my business. My good feelings about myself increase as I work through my own issues. I always have plenty to do!

--

The Language of Letting Go

"Acceptance

Our basic recovery concept that never loses its power to work miracles is the concept called ACCEPTANCE.
We do not achieve acceptance in a moment. We often have to work through a mirage of feelings - sometimes anger, outrage, shame, self-pity, or sadness. But if acceptance is our goal, we will achieve it.
What is more freeing than to laugh at our weaknesses and to be grateful for our strengths? To know the entire package called 'us' - with all our feelings, thoughts, tendencies, and history - is worthy of acceptance and brings healing feelings.
To accept our circumstances is another miraculous cure. For anything to change or anyone to change, we must first accept ourselves, others, and the circumstance exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. we need to become GRATEFUL for ourselves, others, and the circumstance exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become GRATEFUL for ourselves or our circumstances. We add a touch of faith by saying, 'I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment.'
no matter how complicated we get, the basics never lose their power to restore us to sanity.

Today, God, help me practice the concept of acceptance in my life. Help me accept myself, others, and my circumstances. Take me one step further, and help me feel grateful."

==

No comments:

Post a Comment