Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Grats

I am grateful:

1. That I was able to take my mother shopping yesterday.
2. That she is still able to do it.
3. The thoughtful present from those parents
4. That the conferences are going so well
5. Lots of healthy foods yesterday
6. But doing better and learning more with portion sizes
7. That the parents are saying how happy the kids are
8. That I am showing samples.
9. And they’re enjoying them.
10. That J called last night
11. That he’s ready to fix the vacuum (I didn’t ask)
12. That I asked him to wait a few days. I’m glad I did that because I’m not ready
13. That my dr comes today
14. That I’m wearing a pedometer now
15. And tracking my food
16. That I had many more steps yesterday than the day before
17. That M is eating well too
18. Today’s For Today: “Laugh and be well.” Matthew Green
19. And I’m thinking, we really do never know how many days we have. Enjoy this one. Just do.
20. That I decided the day before yesterday, what if I felt great and loved everything about my life? Act like that. Not act as in try to convince others. But act as in, for self. And I’ve really tried to. And I’m going to continue today.
21. That commercial last night about a hospice place talking about having a good day every day right up until the last day (and pain-free). And that hit me in this same way too.
22. Back to For Today: “We will never know how many people have been cured of both major illness and minor indisposition through laughter.” Wow!
23. “If prescriptions for laughter could be written – and filled – there would undoubtedly be a sharp rise in the health and wellbeing of the population.” Hm.
24. “The best OA meetings are those in which there is the most laughter.” That makes sense to me because there would be more recovery in those.
25. “To those irrepressible souls who find humor in their experience – and share it with us – we owe a large debt of thanks.” Oh, that’s different. And sometimes it’s me. Wow.
26. “For today: Bless the comedians and humorists in our midst.” Yes. (And people like me, who make others laugh, a lot, irl).
27. Today’s Voices of Recovery: “We’re always happy to share our secret: the Twelve Steps of Overeaters Anonymous, which empower each of us to live well and be well, one day at a time.” OA 12 & 12 p. 106
28. “Over the years that each of us have spent or will spend on our individual recoveries, we develop certain ideas and philosophies which help us walk the magnificent journey of physical, emotional, and spiritual discovery.
29. “One of mine is a belief in the Five “Ps” of Program: practice,
30. prayers,
31. “perseverance” Ooh that’s a big one for me
32. “patience
33. “and progress.
34. “if I want to stay in recovery on all three levels, I need to do these things every day.
35. “I practice the program to the best of my ability; no half measures will do. Half measures get half results, and I’m not satisfied with that anymore.
36. “I expand my spiritual awareness through prayer. I pray to the God of my understanding that I may know His will for me, and I pray for the willingness and power to carry that out.
37. “Spiritual awareness is my breath of life, and it takes perseverance to sustain that life.
38. “I learn patience by waiting for the fruits of my efforts, knowing they will come in time.
39. “You will be amazed and grateful for the progress you make.
40. “Your spirit will soar,
41. “and you will be able to show your gratitude by passing on the secret of your recovery – the Twelve Steps – to others.”
42. I’m liking doing the gratitudes FIRST – before the CoDA work. So far. It’s putting the good things at the front of my awareness first.
43. Today’s In This Moment is hopeful too. “In This Moment, I grow through service work. When I first joined CoDA, I was shy, introverted, and uncomfortable speaking in front of others.
44. “Over the years, I held various service positions: groups service Rep, delegate, and committee member.
45. “Performing service allows me to practice new behaviors.
46. “Although I am still basically a quiet person, I no long hesitate to express my opinion.
47. “I am comfortable and confident when communicating with others.
48. “These behavior changes have carried into the workplace and helped me progress in my career.
49. “I started doing service to give back. Turns out, the more I give, the more I receive.”
50. Today’s Language of Letting Go: “When the Time Is Right
51. “There are times when we simply do not know what to do, or where to go, next. Sometimes these periods are brief, sometimes lingering.” Yes. That’s me, now.
52. “We can get through these times.” Really? Will they get any better?
53. “We can rely on our program and the disciplines of recovery.
54. “We can cope by using our faith, other people, and our resources.
55. “Accept uncertainly.” Oh boy. Okay, just keep reading….Let’s see.
56. “We do not always HAVE to know what to do or where to go next.
57. “We do not always have clear direction. Refusing to accept the inaction and limbo makes things worse.
58. “It is okay to temporarily be without direction.
59. “Say ‘I don’t know,’ and be comfortable with that.
60. “We do not have to try to force wisdom, knowledge, or clarity when there is none.
61. “While waiting for direction, we do not have to put our life on hold.” And THAT is a HUGE lesson for me. I still don’t have that. I need that.
62. “Let go of anxiety and enjoy life.
63. “Relax.
64. “Do something fun.
65. “Enjoy the love and beauty in your life.
66. “Accomplish small tasks.
67. “They may have nothing to do with solving the problem, or finding direction, but this is what we can do in the interim.” This is the VERY kind of thing I’ve been trying to tell myself and to do lately.
68. “Clarity will come.” Promise?
69. “The next step will present itself.
70. “Indecision, inactivity, and lack of direction will not last forever.”
71. “Today, I will accept my circumstances even if I lack direction and insight.
72. “I will remember to do things that make myself and others feel good during those times.
73. “I will trust that clarity will come of its own accord.” Okay then.
74. And I’m so grateful that I’m home and not in a hospital.
75. And that I’m breathing well.
76. And not coughing.
77. And I have heat.
78. And cold water
79. And hot water
80. And fresh food source
81. And fresh fruit
82. And green veggies. This is all very lucky
83. And that I’m able to do my work. I remember, with the injury, when I couldn’t.
84. And that I’m less phobic than I was. By far!
85. And that I’m doing the morning work. Every single morning. Whether I feel like it or not.
86. That I’ve been doing well at the conferences.
87. And looking okay or better, too.
88. That I get along with all my colleagues.
89. That my kids are learning a lot.
90. In different areas.
91. Hope.
92. Faith.
93. Love.
94. Peace where there is peace.
95. That I am not in a war.
96. Or a prison
97. Or a concentration camp
98. Or an iron lung.
99. That I can see!!
100. That I can sing on key
101. That they finished fixing the piano in my classroom!
102. Again, that the kids are happy. That’s huge to me.
103. That I did grats first today. It feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment