Friday, December 30, 2011

Yesterday's and Today's Readings and I Hope *You* Get Something Out of Them

For Today Dec. 29

"With the Past as past, I have nothing to do; nor with the Future as future. I live now and will verify all past history in my own moments." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"As I see and feel this moment, all else in my mind is blocked out. i am free of the past and the future. I am living in the now." (True! I am!) "Aware of sounds and colors, light and shadow, I look outward from myself - and that is freedom. I can notice another, listen with energy. I live life a moment at a time, leaving the moments lived yesterday and those to be lived tomorrow where they belong." (And I APPRECIATE IT! OH, THANK GOD!)
"Joy comes from living in the NOW.
For today: I free my ind of yesterday's mistakes and tomorrow's hopes. I live in this moment."

For Today Dec. 30

"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain

"How many times did I swear off, make promises and resolutions to stop overeating? sometimes I followed through with a diet, and sometimes I didn't even start. But, always, the promises - and the diets - were fuel for the compulsion." True for me.
"It took Overeaters Anonymous to put into words what all my experience should have told me: that I was powerless over compulsive overeating and no promise, no temporary submission to restricted eating would relieve me of my food obsession. In OA I was given a suggested program of recovery and all that was asked of me in return was that I have a desire to stop.
For today: I will allow no one, including myself, to pressure me into promising to lose weight."

Voices of Recovery Dec. 29
"Sponsors, OA friends, meetings, and literature are wonderful sources of help for us. We wouldn't want to be without any of those resources because we often find God speaks to us through them." OA 12 & 12 p. 98

"As a compulsive overeater, I tend to overdo almost everything, including service. I think I naturally want to mother and take care of everyone, putting myself at the bottom of the list." (Not anymore!)
"My sponsor recognizes my symptoms and gently reminds me that I may have too many things on my plate. She suggests that I check with my Higher Power before committing to something that may pur me into overload. Sometimes she asks, 'Do you need to decide today?' My response is usually 'no.' This means that I can let it go for a while and eal with it if it comes up again. God speaks to me through other people, especially my sponsor, wen I listen."

Voices of Recovery Dec. 30
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference." The Serenity Prayer

"I was spending most of my energy on things I could not change, worrying, fretting, and trying to make them come out 'my' way." Yes! That was me! "Meanwhile, I was ignoring things that I could change, spinning my wheels where they did the least good." Yes! I could have been cleaning etc. "No wonder I felt as much stress and self-loathing.
Now, when I find myself troubled by an issue or situation. I think about it while I say the Serenity Prayer. If it is something I can change, I think of the steps I can take to begin the change, and I pray for the willingness to take action. If it is something I cannot change, I turn it over to my Higher Power and pray for the willingness to accept it. This exercise brings serenity to my life and helps me feel God's presence."

In This Moment Dec. 29

"In This Moment, I create true friendships.
Intimacy used to be such a foreign word to me. i was afraid to show others who I really am, fearing rejection or ridicule. From going to meetings and sharing in a safe, accepting environment, I'm learning real intimacy by allowing others to 'into-me-see.' I've learned that intimacy is a living thing, a journey that requires ongoing nurturing." (And this is important to remember!). There are so many places in the world that are harsh and critical. how refreshing it is to know that I have a safe haven in CoDA. Ultimately, my goal is to create a safe, accepting environment inside of me."

In This Moment Dec. 30

"In This Moment, I use my daily inventory as a springboard for change.
I watch out for self-pity, self-righteousness, and self-condemnation. I strive for gratitude, humility, and gentleness. I catch myself in dishonesty, impatience, resentment, and false pride. I attempt honesty, patience, forgiveness, and modesty. I am aware of jealousy, laziness, procrastination, and fear. I struggle with generosity, activity, promptness, and trust. No matter how disgusted I may be with myself and my behavior, I take the time to review my day. I am then able, with God's help, to see what direction to take. I am capable of healing."

The Language of Letting Go

"Moving On

"Learn the art of acceptance. It's a lot of grief." Codependent No More

"Sometimes, as part of taking care of ourselves, it becomes time to end certain relationships. Sometimes, it comes time to change the parameters of a particular relationship.
This is true in love, in friendships, with family, and on the job.
Endings and changes in relationships are not easy. But often, they are necessary.
Sometimes, we linger in relationships that are dead, out of fear of being alone or to postpone the inevitable grieving process that accompanies endings. Sometimes, we need to linger for a while, to prepare ourselves, to get strong, and ready enough to handle the change.
If that is what we are doing, we can be gentle with ourselves. It is better to wait until that moment when it feels solid, clear, and consistent to act.
We will know. We WILL know. We can trust ourselves.
Knowing that a relationship is changing or is about to end is a difficult place to be in, especially when it is not yet time to act but we know the time is drawing near. It can be awkward and uncomfortable, as the lesson draws to a close. We may become impatient to put closure on it, but not yet feel empowered to do that. That's okay. The time is not yet right. Something important is tstill happening. When the time is right, we can trust that it will happen. We will receive the power and the ability to do what we need to do.
Ending relationships or changing the boundaries of a particular relationship is not easy. It requires courage and faith. It requires a wilingness on our part to take care of ourselves and, sometimes, to stand alone for a while.
Let go of fear. Understand that change is an important part of recovery. Love yourself enough to do what you need to do to take care of yourself, and find enough confidence to believe that you will love again.
We are NEVER starting over. In recovery, we are moving forward in a perfectly planned progression of lessons. WE will find ourselves with certain people - in love, family, friendships, and work - when we need to be with them. When the lesson has been mastered, we will move on. We will find ourselves in a new place, learning new lessons, with new people.
No, the lessons are not all painful. We will arrive at that place where we can learn, not from pain, but from joy and love.
Our needs will get met.

Today, I will accept where I am in my relationships, even if that place is awkward and uncomfortable. I fI am in the midst of endings, I will face and accept my grief. God, help me trust that the path I am on has been perfectly and lovingly planned for me. Help me believe that my relationships are teaching me important lessons. Help me accept and be grateful for middles, ending, and new beginnings."

The Language of Letting Go Dec. 30

"The groundwork has been laid.
Do you not see that?
Don' you understand that all you have gone through was for a purpose?
There was a reason, a good reason, for the waiting, the struggle, the pain, and finally the release." Oh. Yes!
"You have been prepared. The same way a builder must first tear down and dig out the old to make way for the new, your Higher Power has been cleaning out the foundation in your life.
Have you ever watched a builder at construction? When he begins his work, it looks worse than before he began. What is old and decayed must be removed. What is insufficient or too weak to support the new structure must be removed, replaced, or reinforced. no builder who cares about his or her work would put a new surface over an insufficient support system. The foundation would give way. I t would not last.
If the finished product is to be what is desired, the work must be done thoroughly from the bottom up. As the work progresses, it often appears to be an upheaval. Often, it does not seem to make sense. It may appear to be wasted time and effort, because we cannot see the final product yet.
But it is so important that the foundation be laid properly if the fun work, the finishing touches, is to be all that we want it to be.
This long, hard time in your life has been for laying of groundwork. It was not without purpose, although at times the purpose may not have been evident or apparent.
Now, the foundation has been laid. The structure is solid.
Now, it is time for the finishing touches, the completion.
It is time to move the furniture in and enjoy the fruits of the labor.
Congratulations. you ahve had the patience to endure the hard parts. you have trusted, surrendered, and allowed your Higher Power and the Universe to heal and prepare you.
Now, you shall enjoy the good that has been planned.
Now, you shall see the purpose.
Now, it shall all come together and make sense.
Enjoy."

And I am ready for these words. Now. And for the enjoyment.

And it goes on to say:

"Today, I will surrender to the laying of the foundation - the groundwork - in my life. If it is time to enjoy the placement of the finishing touches, I will surrender to that, and enjoy that too. I will remember to be grateful for a Higher Power that is a Master Builder and only has my best interests in mind, creating and constructing my life. I will be grateful for my Higher Power's care and attention to details in laying the foundation - even though I become impatient at times. I will stand in awe at the beauty of God's finished product."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment